Sunday, October 31, 2010

Marie-Helene's Apple Cake


This week I was excited to make a dessert for French Fridays with Dorie . Apple cake was a perfect addition to our Halloween weekend. This dish was so easy. The most time consuming part was cutting the apples. Dorie recommended to choose a variety of apples and so I chose one granny smith, two red delicious, and two gala (I did five and not four because they weren't too large) and it worked out wonderfully because they were all on sale for 88 cents a pound - yes, I am trying to keep within the food budget:). I was so curious after I had folded the batter into the apples to see what the batter tasted like....now I usually don't eat or taste batter -a) because it is a bad habit that I don't want to fall into and b) I am pregnant (raw eggs) - but I really wanted to try it and so I did. It was so delicious - I just kept on having more until I had to vocally tell myself to stop it and that it was bad for the babies (yes twins). Anyhow it cooked for the whole 60 minutes and the aroma that filled the room was amazing.
I loved the custard like texture and the amount of apples and the different flavors of apples in this dessert. I will definitely be making it again this fall/winter. Thank you again Dorie - this was amazing. And I do need to give a little shout out to my sister- the author of Project Domestication for not only convincing me to make sure I really got a variety of apples as she did in her "Tuesdays with Dorie" Apple Pie but also for encouraging me to join this online cooking group. This month has been so much fun in creating new meals and desserts!
P.S. I did make one change - I did not add rum but substituted white grape juice. Not sure what it tastes like with rum, but it sure was good the way I made it.

1 comment:

  1. Erika! Thanks for the shout-out!

    I'm so happy you made this cake. I loved it. Instead of rum I did vanilla extract. I'll have to try it with white grape juice.

    My favorite part was that there were more apples than cake. Always a plus for a girl that already has too many sweets in her life. ;)

    ReplyDelete