Friday, October 22, 2010

Hachis Parmentier




I looked forward to creating this French dish that is similar to America's "Shepherd's Pie." I also was excited about creating my own beef bouillon - I have never done that before. So how did it go? Well - besides a couple mess ups, it went well and tasted delicious. And my husband - who is hard to get a response out of when it comes to food said that it was more flavorful than he thought it would be...and although that doesn't sound like much of a response..trust me coming from him it is!:)

So I made this all in one day and it wasn't too laborious. I decided to double it - since I had a ton of Russet potatoes - and that all went well until I discovered that I only had 1 lb of the cubed steak. The real unfortunate thing is that I put all of the items in the soup pot before I put in the meat - so I ended up doubling everything except for the meat (I couldn't run to the store with my baby taking a nap). While the beef and bouillon were simmering I cut up my potatoes and put them in a pot of cold salted water and put them in the fridge until I needed to cook them. This saved me time in the long run. I wasn't sure what type of sausage to get (I rarely eat sausage)...do I get ground sausage or sausage links? I was confused. I ended up using Jimmy Dean regular ground sausage and I really liked that combo with the cubed steak. I put the veggies in with the meat mixture and all was well until I realized that it looked a little too saucy when I put it in the casserole dish. I was stumped--why was it too saucy? I put the right amount of broth in....? Then while eating it I realized that it was because I only used half the amount of meat (the cubed steak)! Duh! Why didn't I realize that before I put the potatoes on and cooked it? Before I slid it into the oven I had considered draining some of the liquid out, but decided against it- well...I should have because it was a little too wet...but don't get me wrong it was delicious and I will be making it again - especially during these fall and winter months! I guess I will just learn from my mistakes and like my mom always said...practice, practice, practice.


And the bonus? Leftovers for the next 3 days....it made a lot!
Oh yes....and I am loving French Fridays with Dorie. It is fun to know that I am not alone in this adventure. And it is nice not to have to plan one meal (or dish, dessert, etc...) for the week - it is already done for me:)

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't it fabulous? My favorite meal we've done thus far. I talked to Dorie last night at the cooking class and she said that her husband would eat it twice a week if she let him. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came back to see how you did this week and I wished I doubled mine as well! I would have made a bunch of minis like some of the other chefs did and frozen them for mid week meals. Wasn't this good!
    Trevor Sis.Boom

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderfully cheesy on top! That's what is great about this dish - is that it tastes even the second day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am regretting that I have not made this. I'll have to catchup and try it. I'm glad the ol' husband is starting to give feedback other than "good" ;)

    So happy you are loving FFWD.

    ReplyDelete